visit the web site

Monday, September 8

market research part 2

The Portland Saturday Market is the big Kahuna here in the Pacific Northwest. As far as I know, anyway. Not easy to evaluate such things from the other coast.

I have visited the market several times and enjoyed it. I got some info about selling last year and then I talked to the folks in person yesterday. Basically, there is a fee each day..$45 on Saturday and $25 on Sunday. You get there early in the morning and sign up and they assign spaces from there. The members and regulars get first pick, then those who have earned points by participating and then the guest vendors by seniority. I expect to be set up under a construction barricade somewhere with the additional duty of directing traffic.

I reserved a canopy. You can rent them for just $15. Now all I need is a spot to sell from this weekend and I'm all set.

Much of the market is under the Burnside bridge which is great for dealing with inclement weather. I expect the ones with most seniority get those spots.



The rest of the market meanders around the bridge





It is festive and typical of a "city". Families, skaters, panhandlers, college kids, dog walkers, stroller pushers, political tables with literature, iffy food choices (although lots more vegetarian options than back home), music, people smoking weird stuff behind the porta potties.

I hope that they have space for me. I'm looking forward to it.

On the way home, we stopped at Powell's, "the largest new and used book store in the world!" they boast.




Love this place. They shelve the new and used books together. So, if you are looking for a copy of "Men are from Mars.." or something, there will be some at 20 bucks and some at 15 and as the copies get more dog-eared the price goes down. I got some fun books for cheap. If you are a book lover, you could drop hundreds in there in an hour. I've done it.

If the market is lucrative this weekend, we will certainly stop by again.

Guess I'd better get busy working or I'll have little to sell.

Some things never change, even when the coasts do.

No comments: