visit the web site

Sunday, June 15

overheard at Allentown

I'll write about the show for real tomorrow, but about 5 or 6 of us got to laughing today about the things customers say. It started when I told them the story of the woman Saturday who was helping her son pick out one of my miniature book pins as a teacher gift. They were debating colors and stuff and her son said "that one" and the woman said, no, that one was ugly.

I was standing beside her. Me, the person who was responsible for unleashing ugly on the world.

So, I joked and said "Oh now, you don't mean ugly, just not as nice as the others" he ha ha

"No" she said, stone-faced. "It's ugly"

Alrighty then. I'll be over here in the corner whimpering.

This started a flurry of stories...artists poking out from the backs of their canopies to join in.

"Do you have any more of these in the back?"
"Well, actually, we don't have a 'back'. Everything is one of a kind."
"Well, do you have 6 of this kind??"

"You make these yourself?"
"Yes, I do"
"Really?"
"Yes, are you surprised?"
"Yeah, you don't look talented"

"Do I get a discount if I buy two?"
"No, It isn't any faster for me to make two than one"
"But it's faster to sell two at a time"

"Can I get an end-of-show discount on this?
"It's only noon."
"Yeah, noon of the last day"
"No, sorry, I still have time to sell them"
"Well, lotsa luck. I'll be back at 6"

Good times.

It was a good show. Details tomorrow. My feet are so swollen it looks like I'm wearing little hams on my feet.

Ah, the glamour of the art business.

1 comment:

Michael said...

I used to think that sort of stupidity was unique to Buffalo. I am here to tell you, it is not.

The Seattle area rivals the deep south when it comes to resolutely ignorant public policy and infrastructure.

I like to think that I am better off for having left Buffalo and learned these things, but maybe not. I'm more cynical than I used to be.