visit the web site

Monday, April 14

re-creation

Took Jake, the wonder dog, to the park this morning. We walked at a leisurely pace, Jake sniffing every blade and twig, me taking pictures. Russell did a speed walk, his form shrinking to a dot in moments, Jake whining to keep up. My family cannot understand why we live in "the city". They watch the evening news in their quiet suburban neighborhoods and hear only the bad things. Well, here's one reason. This is my neighborhood park:




Can't wait for the ice to be gone.

It hasn't been all Indie Markets and walks in the park, though. I've come up with a new design for the photo frames I make. The frames have really evolved since I started. The first ones were square with a small hole in the middle and you dropped the photo into a space I made between the frame and back using popsicle sticks. Really. Ya just shake your head sometimes. Once I found these great door back easels, the whole thing changed for me. They have an offset design which really lent itself to my embellishments. Once I started to add words and phrases to them, they became a bigger seller than the books.

But you cannot just stay where you are and expect to be ahead. I notice that a lot of the people who complain about their sales at art/craft shows have been bringing out the same stuff every year with nary a change on color to distinguish them from last year's show. Don't think the customers don't notice. I can't count how many times I hear "Oh, look what you're doing now!" It makes me feel so good that they remember.

The problem I had with the design I used last year was that it was dependent on some embellishments I picked up at craft stores. That is bad for many reasons, not the least of which is limiting your own creativity. So, I've been mulling it over and I came up with an idea to do a raised collage piece like I use on the books. That decision led to the benefit of being able to utilize poetry and longer phrases on the frame, not just evocative words. I like that idea.

I did up a couple of quick ones, just to see. I like the possibilities, but they've got a way to go yet.




Much to do today. My first show is in 10 days and a week after that we leave for VIrginia. Suddenly the season is upon us. Yikes.

No comments: