visit the web site

Wednesday, January 23

decisions

I make my decisions about my work at night, usually. In bed, with the flickering TV the only light. Just loud enough for sleep-inducing white noise. Russell and the dog both snoring gently, the cat curled in the crook of my arm. I close my eyes and begin to "make" something. I work out the process,imagine the finished product, revise and start again. In my daydream studio there are no spills or accidents, everything works out just right. Many of those night visions never last til dawn. But the ones that do are subjected to the cold white light in the real studio. That's where the fun begins. Or the frustration.

So, anyway, last night I ruminated...again...still... about what to add to this year's products. I have been intrigued by lamps for a long time and I am inspired by the work of some of the artists in my papermaking group. I finished reading a book about paper lamps last night and something in there triggered the decision to try luminaries first. Shades to go around a votive. Using paper with inclusions that will be highlighted by the light. I will make them as miniatures of the lamps I have been making on and off in my head for 2 years of nights now. This will teach me the constructions and also gauge if there is interest. I'm excited about it. Can't wait to try.

And I am going to do the photography thing. I will make cover embellishments for my books using my own photography and maybe even do something on the fly leaf.

So, there you have it. And none too soon. Serious production for the coming year starts in 2 weeks.

Of course, these decisions are based on the conceit that what I see in my head will appear on my work table in recognizable form.

No comments: