visit the web site

Tuesday, February 19

Ch-ch-changes

So, last post I talked a little about our wedding and some things that have been happening and will happen and may not happen...the usual.

It is application time and if you have been with me these past 10 years or so you  may remember how much I hate it. The new thing amongst our dear promoters/organizers is to cash our booth checks with the application and they will refund it if you are not accepted. Seriously? All of our apps for the season are due in the next few weeks. Some of us apply to about a dozen shows per Summer. Sometimes we apply to a couple of shows for the same weekend, like applying to a "safe" college when you are a kid. This way, if you get rejected by one, you still have a show. And if you get both, you decide which is best for you and politely decline the other. This is how the business works. The good shows know this which is why they have a waiting list. With an average cost for a booth is about $250-$350, I know that it is a near impossibility for many of us to come up with $3000 during the time of our season when no money is coming in. So, I have formally rebelled. One of my favorite shows advised us that they are now adopting that police so we should "make sure you have funds to cover the check" Bite me. Last year I made about $300 bucks at that show because we had rainstorms both days. Did we demand a refund? No. Well, this year I responded to the "call for artists" email with a simple: "I'm sorry. I no longer apply to shows the require payment in advance of acceptance".  If I could get my cohorts to do the same it may have an impact. As it is, I think I will have a relaxing weekend and have even more art to sell the next week. Win/Win? I hope so.

So, marriage is fine so far. I have to admit this old broad got a kick out of hearing Russ introduce m as his wife for the first time. There is a giggly teenager hiding in this old body somewhere.

I have been accepted as a team member at an artist co-op in my neighborhood that I have been watching for a couple of years. I know most of the artists and admire them all. The work will all be "made in Buffalo" which is great. The young woman who runs it is someone I have known for years. She is a sweetheart and a talented artist. So, I go in for training next week. LOL  Training!At my age! I love it. Never consider your self finished. There is always something lurking around the corner and it is often delightful.

My old house is cold. The furnace is working, but only when it thinks it should, so we have a cozy house 12 hours out of 24. The "guy"is coming to check it out. Meanwhile, I am here with my laptop, Netflix and a puppy by my side, comforter up to my chin, waiting it out.

And, of course, there are app to fill out! Aargh.  Later....


No comments: